3/24/11

Wait For It

While I was at church on Sunday, something struck me as “oh-yeah”. (I’m sad to admit it wasn't anything too spiritual or intellectual.) I can hardly remember the context or story my pastor was sharing but it stuck with me. He said that in his family they never buy something the first time they see it. Duh! I realized that is definitely the smart way to go. Looking back, there are some purchases that come to mind. Please let me explain.

When we moved into our new place I begged The Mr./saved/waited for the rug of my dreams (ok maybe that’s an exaggeration). I really wanted it. Every time I was in Target, I checked on it. I wanted to make sure it was still there. I couldn’t help but run up to it with my fingers crossed to see if it had gone on sale (we believe in sales, big time). Unfortunately, Target didn’t have the right kind of coupon I needed for it and my Chase Rewards Points weren’t high enough for me to get a free gift card to Target. I waited for it… and guess what…it went on sale. I got $50 off my purchase. I was glad that I had waited.

Isn't she pretty? My favorite colors! I'm still in love.

Of course, it didn’t end with the rug. I needed the perfect pillows. I don’t know how long or how many places I looked for just the right pillow. One day I decided to buy the right-color-blue fabric napkins to make my own pillow cases for my couch. I bought them but waited to sew.
Then a cool thing happened…we were visiting friends in Chicago and went into the Crate and Barrel Outlet. (Ok, hands down, one of the coolest outlet stores ever! You always get good deals there!) As I was browsing, I saw my old pillows on the shelf. (sucker punch,maybe?) Seeing my outdated pillows on the shelf gave me more inspiration for finding the right addition for our new abode.

Glancing across the store, I saw lovely blue pillows. Now wait… the awesome thing about C&B is you can just buy the pillow case and not the insert. (Luckily, I got C&B pillows for my wedding!) With lots of excitement in my voice I bravely asked the sales clerk the price of the case….she said they were ten bones. Yes, TEN BONES! I was on top of the world or just really giddy about my new find. (By the way, I returned my napkins.) It was worth the wait and the journey.

They're fun and bright! I think the thing I like best about them is The Deal.

On the other hand, those stories make me think about things that I bought instantly and have no appreciation for in our place. Like my shower curtain, can I say boring! Or how about my bedroom curtains! Yuck! Or my bedside lamp, no fun. I bought those items quickly and would give them up easily. 

If you know me, you know I'm not a fan of red! 
(Have I mentioned that I can't wait for our home that waits us. HA!)
 It will not have these!
 See the tiny lamp in the corner?

Buying the right pieces for your home is worth the wait. So roll with me as I try to put into practice...

“Don’t buy on the first try.”
(Unless… you’re at HomeGoods…. it will be gone in an hour!)

Have you ever experienced a proud purchase like mine?

No comments: